Frequently Asked Questions
Firstly, this page is always being improved, so if you don't understand something, or you think something is missing, then please post a message in the forum in the Discussion Forum.
- Q: How do I set the content of the editor?
- A: To set the initial editor content, simply put the entized HTML into the initial textarea
- Q: How do I get the edited HTML with?
- A: Use the editor.getEditorContent() method
On the project
- Q: How can I help the project?
- A: Use the editor with eyes open and tell us how to improve it. Feature requests and bug reports should be submitted as tickets.
- A: Check the timeline and participate in ticket discussions. To see the most recent comments posted to all tickets, click here.
- A: Help users by sharing your experience and answering questions in the forum and/or expanding the wiki. You can also join the Xinha mailing list.
- A: Localize Xinha to your language (see below)
- Q: Have you had a chance to put up a donation page?
- A: Currently only one developer showed no scruples and has put up a personal PayPal button Developers
- Q: How do I get started? See Newbie
- Q: Do I need a webserver or can I use the script through file:// ?
- A: You need a webserver, else some plugins and languages other than English won't work...
- Q: How can I change the default editor CSS? See (default CSS)
- Q: How to insert a <br> tag ?
- Use Shift+Enter
- To change the behaviour of unshifted enter, in Mozilla set xinha_config.mozParaHandler = "built-in". In IE there is now way to change this.
- Q: What options are there to make the editor fit my needs? See the Wiki: list of available options
- Q: How can I customize the toolbar? Wiki: xinha_config.toolbar
- Q: How can I make the h1 tag and other tags to be styled the way they will show on my website ? Wiki: xinha_config.pageStyleSheets/xinha_config.pageStyles
- Q: How can I change the default display font ? Font
- Q: Is it possible to start Xinha in fullscreen mode? Full screen
- Q: How can I hide the path bar ? Path bar
- Q: How can I resize the editor ? Resize
- Q: Xinha doesn't load though I have set it up according to the NewbieGuide
- A: make sure _editor_url is set correctly and all files could be loaded
- Q: I have done everything explained in newbie document but the texts are always in English, how can I use my language file ?
- A: Make sure your language file is up to date.
- A: The translation system (i18n) will only work if you have a webserver.
- Q: My text appears strangely in my textarea ?
- A: You should entitize data put into textareas Entitize data
- Q: Why get the changes only submitted when switching into HTML mode?
- Q: When i'm using the html code mode, all accented or umlaut characters are converted to normal.
- A: Use the HtmlEntities plugin
- Q: Is there a list of all the functions Xinha uses? Xinha functions (probably out-dated)
- Q: How do I update the data in the editor? setEditorContent(), getEditorContent()...
- Q: How can I add my language to the Xinha translations?
- A: There is a PHP script that extracts all strings to be translated from the source files (contrib/lc_parse_strings.php), or you can simply grab one of the existing languages (de.js would be a good choice) and go ahead... Once you're ready, please simply attach the files to a ticket and we will add them to the distribution.
About the plugins
- Q: Is there a tutorial for plugin creation?